Tuesday, November 1, 2011

{Wine Label} Red Bicyclette Syrah

This wine is actually produced in my home region of Languedoc in Southwestern France.  It is a French wine produced by the Sieur d'Arques cooperative and distributed in the USA by the E. & J. Gallo Winery. You won't find this label in France as it was designed for export only. This wine is a decent everyday table wine at an affordable price. I am quite certain most people have come across this label before, it is a very common one, but I still find it very cute. A few years back, their label looked like this...



...which I think is way cooler, but they redesigned it so that it looks completely different now:




 My theory is that they needed to do a label overhaul after the 2010 scandal where Sieur d'Arques was prosecuted for passing off wines blended from other grape varieties as pinot noir in order to charge higher prices to E. & J. Gallo, for whom this was their most popular variety. Back in 2008, I saved this old label and had it framed with red matting and a simple black frame and gifted it to my BFF, who put it in her kitchen (even though she is not a wine lover). It looked something like this:


Simple and cute, non?

1 comment:

  1. I still have the label framed. It is now, ironically, in my wine cellar. Ironically because I still do not drink a lot of wine. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete